Wednesday, September 3, 2008

This Weekend...

Hey people! Well, I'm sure you've noticed my most recent updates...the pics and the video. So now I thought I'd tell you a little bit more about them, and what we did this past weekend. Here I go: This past weekend (Labor Day weekend) we had an awesome time!!! :-) On Saturday, we went to see the San Jacinto Monument (which is the place where the Texans defeated the Mexican army) and the Battleship Texas. First we took a ferry across the ship channel and had lunch at the Monument Inn. I got something called the Fisherman's Platter, which turned out to be a really big entree with like fried shrimp, catfish, oysters, stuffed crab, stuffed shrimp, and fries; on top of the appetizers we ordered of fried alligator and boiled shrimp, and I am (somewhat) proud to say that I was able to eat just about all of it...minus the fries! LOL. Then we had a blast walking around the Monument area and going up to the top, which is like 50 stories (whoa!). It was so cool, and you could see like everything for miles and miles around. It's like, wow...to walk around that place and just, you get this feeling when you remember that a long time ago, history was made; that men fought and died for our freedom. After that we hopped in the car and drove across the street to see the Battleship. That was interesting, too. It's an old ship built in 1913, and was used in the war. We got to walk by the old guns and through where the people used to stay. It was also kind of cool. I mean, history isn't really my favorite subject and it gets kind of boring, but you can't help but appreciate it a little. If you know what I mean...

Then we went to go visit my Great-Grandma, my dad's Grandmother. We hung out there for about 3 hours, and my Great-Uncle came to visit us, too. It was great! He hadn't met Kenzie yet, so the two of them got acquainted and Kenzie did really well, considering she doesn't really know either of them.

Sunday we had church, and then that afternoon we drove up to East Texas, to Alto. (Alto's like 30 miles or so past Lufkin.) My grandparents live in Alto, so we got there around 8 pm and slept over. Monday morning we woke up and drove to the next town (Rusk; which is about 20 minutes away) and we walked down this really long footbridge. (Supposedly, it's like the biggest 1 in the world.) We took several pics on there. It's really pretty, and it's a gorgeous park, and it was the most beautiful day...One thing I have to say is that the weather there (even though it's only about 3 hours from my home) is pretty different than ours. It was much cooler and more breezy, and DEFINITELY not as much humidity. Another thing about being out in the country (which being in the country is kinda a bummer if you ask me, because there's really not any stores or restaurant close by) but you can see stars at night. (I really wish you could see them at my house, but you usually just have to pretend the airplanes are stars). After that, though, we came back to the house and had lunch, packed up and hit the highway. We got home that evening and then started to finish out our regular routine week.

No comments: